[ Blog ] · [ About ] · [ Subscribe ]
My name is Emre (pronounced Am-Ray). I'm a self-taught technologist with 10+ years specialization in social web and decentralization.
I'm best known for starting Groupsville (formerly known as Grou.ps) which is one of the first, if not first, private social networking platforms. With Grou.ps, I raised $5MM+ from several VCs, and the company operated at $1MM annualized revenue run-rate on 8 million MAU and created more than $30MM in enterprise value. The company IP and assets were sold to public & private corporations and today it's part of part of Research in Social Graph Corporation (RISG), a social graph infrastructure company. Other RISG products include the open-source Phở Networks stack (a no-code platform for social apps) and GraphJS (JAMStack developer tools for headless online communities). Nowadays, I also spend my time blogging at Ideas For Free and sharing my business/policy ideas with the community.
Prior to Groupsville (or Grou.ps) I worked at hakia, an AI startup (before it was this cool) which was my first step to a work visa in the US. hakia's semantic search technology was a predecessor to Google's -what we call today- Knowledge Graph. I joined hakia after a short internship stint at Princeton University Wordnet Project which was also my first time in the US.
During college (Bogazici University) from 2001 to 2005, I worked on several projects. Dilmaca, now open source, was a web-scale machine translation software that did a decent job for a mechanical approach. Although the challenges were of academic level. Having realized Dilmaca wouldn't monetize anytime soon, I quickly moved on to something else, Turkix, which paved the way to a small acquisition -- not a bad outcome for the age of 20!
Turkix was the first Linux distribution that supported all Turkic languages. Eventually Datron, then the leading laptop producer in Turkey, approached us to bundle it with their low-end models and replace Windows. As part of Turkix, I also led Apache Software Foundation's Turkey operations, built a community of volunteers and hatched the first version of Turkish httpd documentation. Last but not least, SimpleKDE, which was a desktop environment that came with Turkix gained so much traction that I got invitation from KDE headquarters to join their KDE Quality team; a proud moment for a 20-years-old kid.
You can find more about me (the Grou.ps part of my life, in particular) in this compilation by Firat Demirel, Gelecegi Gorenler (Turkish only).
Patents (w/ pending and provisionals)
- (*) Method to create a censorship-resilient decentralized social network and application platform (USPTO #62909066)
- (*) Method for creating and maintaining social applications in the cloud using a whiteboard-friendly graph model (USPTO #62780758)
- (*) Measuring health and fitness data using proximity sensors and mobile technologies(PCT/US2015/048437 )
- (*) Using proximity sensors for receiving signals in a facility (PCT/US2015/053363)
- (*) Method and System for Statistically Determining what Social Network Context to Share a Particular Content With (USPTO #14325714)
- (*) ... and tens of more in the fields of social networking, semantic search, cyber security
Some of the organically-acquired press for my startup(s)
- • http://techcrunch.com/2008/04/22/groups-all-your-collaboration-tools-in-one-place/
- • http://venturebeat.com/2008/04/22/ps-groups-another-way-for-groups-to-collaborate-online/
- • https://readwrite.com/2008/04/23/groups_launches_public_beta/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2009/12/25/grou-ps-diy-social-network-platform-reaches-2-million-users-becomes-more-customizable/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2010/03/19/diy-social-network-platform-grou-ps-now-syncs-with-yahoo-groups/
- • http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/16/AR2010041602234.html
- • https://venturebeat.com/2009/12/24/grou-ps-adds-extensive-customization-of-discussion-groups-for-publishers-small-and-large/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/grou-ps-lets-you-create-your-own-private-facebook/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2012/06/29/grou-ps-launches-lovebuck-a-new-monetization-platform-for-online-publishers
- • https://youtube.com/watch?v=XrQz1t
- • http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/02/its-a-winwin-grou-ps-launches-referral-program-for-ning-exiles/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2010/10/13/grou-ps-buys-social-project-from-mtv-networks/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2009/06/25/groups-finds-1-million-for-diy-social-network/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2008/06/29/groups-pulls-in-11-million-opens-up-code-to-take-on-ning/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2012/10/17/another-private-social-network-for-families-grou-ps-debuts-babyzilla-app/
- • http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/13/how-to-create-a-minimum-viable-product/
- • https://techcrunch.com/2012/06/29/grou-ps-launches-lovebuck-a-new-monetization-platform-for-online-publishers/
✉️ sokullu at pm dot me (secure)
Favorite Investments Private: H2O.ai, Automattic (Wordpress), HackerNoon, Human in Motion
Public: $NVDA, $AMD, $GDDY, $DIS, $FB, $MSFT, $TWTR
23 & Me N-M231 & H4.
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: GnuPG v1 mQENBFitM9oBCADI/E1jYLZKh8nWQvAAxQYVC+Z7pY89ULhxax3ZPtmFhxgZWMOw RZP5nUQwXI9CL1Oydo5lDkiy5TDP91G/Cl96YYRD7IG22k6BFEfFJ6TNSUd4CiGA mow3DMdEttySA02QsxJbCOc5Teq5r0tWexvMEi6xONmNe/eQp9HQ8lzt6aEsusKJ dkvS5qtuy5HT3XKVTts88ZF4wv59JwvQnfvr8VQxzzFTTKQ0f4uh+FklVMh0MYwa qit0M2c9JzQgWm87uoBwNhDz5nVHyVwtqgltdGbOHCSbzNcL4sAGj4HNkIUKpaQA 931iq5Y3SUSYRAPl05HfLmVOlvBwUJeN+empABEBAAG0IUVtcmUgU29rdWxsdSA8 ZXNva3VsbHVAZ21haWwuY29tPokBOAQTAQIAIgUCWK0z2gIbAwYLCQgHAwIGFQgC CQoLBBYCAwECHgECF4AACgkQp9vFbd7hc9Yq6Af9Eidf1/tOzvCA03idPsTPTL29 aF5O/NAo3an1dyggHNcQgC7nT7zN+zuzinoJp9bvIEYcy4+wsRCVntr8aYYXp2ca /d4HiFd98wIsuf3TLqgewtsaWT+uCQwPdAl3JRHNMEBNHW/G95sdgrm93VHNw3XQ akcWTI9fDJFIDVraC7y7ShUojESGLfu9ik6Vnv5gF6FigTey059ybID2AFel6acc bdeshm7K0m9pyuGmLx2PI0umHXpBsU0E+Fe9zcP475/O5UGKrvnVadhyHPl60aG3 D4BTjwyQ2S9SoziJXkUSYW+HpgvaanIpgyA5HERvGFv4pf7NtnrlQsGCBcZHRLkB DQRYrTPaAQgApdfmSnzyQQ+29zGJIdAZm92RkOq74KoVzhV4P93lszqKSvfH4OQX D9AnwfRZ0jGLdFfPM1+m9GPB/LmxqIdcVopQcva83jqskyaUPh335qT7/YyQjXjH ivnGPJjbDOQctVSmEaBZ3jImpmAqqDHuia09ZIVwvIqjjwdKaP8sT+HzXo2pVmen HZWWjzrlSgRH4Kf8YjniOGfzLihvAT/5KJGWAHVQawwQs1vTAnxydcllKjTYcJkZ YPHUKOTrRi7LrhsE6GhSMj/I1H/MT4Rg7oFWVMapWQsuB2T/N6c+L3f/lUTisISs VlZz4fPWjzjqiFnBWH+otULlM4KGWpdu3wARAQABiQEfBBgBAgAJBQJYrTPaAhsM AAoJEKfbxW3e4XPWUrkH/iU8Xdv64z0FhqS1VA35rAWlfgEj4/PcK8Y8GnpMWq16 tQoJORGJrmQ2nKDoYy4J8lPvoKVkiO2RyCUZet2CTLVQ+vpstb6RBAocq0abAKyD NucA4a3SlSg6VXU/tQEsaHf7RGye38nxTh7HH2KmTufmDOZYjDjSxg9w5IKi7cda W5ctoR4STlC0P+tTlcVg+fo6DCTGm6nSOEg5Kga+q1ypmvNle6/jDneykAqimbHK 5uRRnsT+C59u/DRX+Gw889j1rges6pQsLfFpRuYyMUI8R4/DM+S+mjoNb6nwdDvG qnY72+TWOFG8oyzaqxjk56+VdjFlYtSp8SQgu/MnLbQ= =FSfs -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----